When the party of adventurers comes into contact with enemies, theSwords and Wizardry
order of events is as follows:
- Check for Surprise: The Referee determines if a surprise roll is required, and if so, both sides roll to see if they are surprised by the sudden encounter. See below for details of the surprise roll.
- Declare Spells: This is not an option for a group that was surprised; they have to wait until the beginning of the next round. See below for details of declaring spells.
- Determine Initiative: Each side rolls a d6 and the side with the highest result is the winner. One roll is made for each side, not for each individual. If this is the first round and one group was surprised, the other side gets to go first automatically, without having to roll a die.
- Movement and Missile Fire: Each combatant on the side that won initiative may move, or may fire any missile weapons. Then the losers of the initiative roll may move or fire missile weapons.
- Melee Combat and Spells: Each combatant on the side that won initiative makes any melee attacks (if in melee range), or casts spells. Spells take effect immediately. Spells cannot be cast if the caster is in melee combat with enemies. Losers of the initiative then make their attacks and cast spells.
- The round is complete. Go back to step 2 (Declare Spells) and repeat the process until the combat is finished.